The Indie Mine The Indie Mine
Menu
Search

Jones On Fire Review

This forum is for discussing all gaming articles posted on The Indie Mine.

Jones On Fire Review

Postby Brandon Schmidt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:47 pm

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Jones On Fire is certainly the cutest endless runner game to hit the market.
Brandon Schmidt
Site Admin

Jones On Fire Review

Postby Tim Hurley » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Had a chance to play it this morning, and I thought it was pretty good for what it does. Charming, like you said, and kittens... who doesn't like kittens?

Also quite liked the setup they had, with completing challenges and buying abilities. That's always been one way I've thought of to extend an auto-runner's gameplay. Hard to argue with 'free', too.
Tim Hurley

Re: Jones On Fire Review

Postby Brandon Schmidt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Tim, I thought you'd recently reviewed an XBLIG autorunner and that you'd be burnt out on the genre by now. Not sure what spurred it, but it seems like a lot of these have hit the market recently.

But yeah, you nailed it. The ability to earn upgrades definitely extends the lifespan of the player's enjoyment.
Brandon Schmidt
Site Admin

Jones On Fire Review

Postby Tim Hurley » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 pm

I blame the kittens. Also, Voxel Runner (the game in question) and Runner2 have sort of won me over again, temporarily. I still won't seek these types of games out, but so long as they're not needlessly frustrating or lacking in control, I'm open.
Tim Hurley

Postby Brandon Schmidt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Did Voxel Runner end up having the same kind of look as Jones On Fire? By the way, feel free to link to your articles here. I don't mind.

Any theories as to why the genre's exploded as of late? Stuff like Temple Run, Jetpack Joyride, etc. has been around for awhile, so I'm not sure why we're just seeing these now.
Brandon Schmidt
Site Admin

Jones On Fire Review

Postby Tim Hurley » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 pm

I've been meaning to add links to other sites that do reviews of the same game (wanted to do that even after the 'Uprising' ended, but it fell off my radar), so we can definitely swap links in the future on any dual coverage. Voxel Runner and 'Jones' do share the voxel look, but 'Jones' does more with its backgrounds, adds a store, etc. Voxel Runner is just one big stage broken up by checkpoints.

As for a theory, I think the rash of recent auto-runs could just be coincidence (the developer of Voxel Runner had no idea that Bit.Trip's Runner 2 was releasing the same week), or it could be part of a new cycle. From a programming / design point of view, I'd have to think auto-runners would be easier to bring to market, especially since 'punishers' seem to have a captive audience. That's fine for some, but when they strike a good balance, they can appeal to more people.
Tim Hurley

Postby Brandon Schmidt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Just received notice today that Jones On Fire for both iOS and Android will be on a paid model with a price tag of $1.99. The plan is to remove all in-app purchases and rebalance the game. The Android version - which released today - is already on this new pricing model. The iOS version will be receiving an update soon.
Brandon Schmidt
Site Admin

Jones On Fire Review

Postby Adam » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Good. I'd prefer to pay once and not be bothered by IAPs.
Adam

Return to The Indie Mine Gaming Articles