The Indie Mine The Indie Mine
Menu
Search

Game Dev Tycoon Review

This forum is for discussing all gaming articles posted on The Indie Mine.

Game Dev Tycoon Review

Postby lfiddler » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:23 am

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Live the dream of running and managing your very own video game company.
lfiddler

Re: Game Dev Tycoon Review

Postby Brandon Schmidt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 pm

This reminds me a little bit of ArcadeCraft which is an XBLIG title that I reviewed a while back. One of the main draws of that game was seeing all of the parodies of classic arcade cabinets like Donkey Kong or Centipede. There were also some historical elements mixed in like the launch of the home gaming consoles and how that impacted arcades, not to mention the big gaming crash in the mid-80s. I think I just really enjoy games that help celebrate games.
Brandon Schmidt
Site Admin

Postby Taylor Whaley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:06 am

While the overall game is fine, I think you're either missing or leaving out a lot of detail with regards to the flaws.

I'm not sure if it's changed since May (when I reviewed the game), but back at that time the game never actually taught you how to "make" a good game. You'd know for sure that you failed if your game got low review scores, but the reviews never actually told you WHY. I mean sure, you might get a one-liner like "They should've focused more on graphics" but realistically, what does that even mean? Yes, I could go ahead and put more focus into graphics... but when am I ever going to make the same game twice in a row?

And don't even get me started on the fact that the game engine upgrades are binary. Just think of how ridiculous it is that your game will factually be more successful if it has steering wheel support as an RPG. It just feels... lazy.

Overall, I can understand why some folks would like this title, but realistically there's no reason why a fairly mediocre title like this one deserves a score of 5/5. That's really all I have to say on the subject.
Taylor Whaley

Postby ZaneGentis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:38 am

Been eying this one for a while. I've played Game Dev Story, which uses the same concept except for iOS.
ZaneGentis

Return to The Indie Mine Gaming Articles