Gun Monkeys Gets A Price Cut

This forum is for discussing all gaming articles posted on The Indie Mine.

Postby mark.robinson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:14 am

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Dan Marshall discusses why Gun Monkeys has had a price cut and what it means elsewhere in the indie gaming community.
mark.robinson

Postby Dave Violett » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:46 pm

The one other issue I can think of relating to the pricing of games is the new prevalence of bundle games. When someone can pick up a large number of games for around $5 it makes people question whether it's worth spending $5 on a single game. Once you get around $10 it makes it an even harder suggestion. It's true that a lot of bundles are rehashes of games that have already been offered and people who have been buying them for awhile might only gain 1 or 2 new games from them, but that's still a very cheap price tag. When you are trying to compete for someone's wallet and they compare your game at $10 or two bundles that are out at the same time it requires that your game have something that will really drive them in. "Indie" games like Don't Starve, Hotline Miami, and others have managed this fairly easily due to great word of mouth about their unique gameplay. Unless you can really get people talking about the game though it's hard to get people to part $10 for what they may see as "just another indie game". The other issue is the one you've talked about, investing in any multiplayer game that you don't know has a huge following can be very sketchy. If you can never find anyone to play with it's basically a wasted purchase.
Dave Violett

Postby Ant » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:45 am

I don't think pricing is the issue with Dan's game. It's hard enough getting a critical mass of players for an online only AAA game, for an indie game, however much critical praise it receives, it's even harder simply because people have been stung by other online only indie releases that basically - launched, wimpered then promptly died.

it's a nasty chicken and egg. you won't get players unless you already have players.

I wish him much luck with the marketing and 2fers to try and turn it around as it looks like the game itself is great fun and really put together.
Ant

Postby mike » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:55 am

This game is an antonym to enjoyable.
mike

Return to The Indie Mine Gaming Articles