The Indie Mine The Indie Mine
Menu
Search

Guest Post: Hellboy Studios' Game Dev Tutorial - Vol. 1

This forum is for discussing all gaming articles posted on The Indie Mine.

Postby MikeKnight » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:25 am

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Indie dev Mike Knight shares helpful advice on creating a game concept.
MikeKnight

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:19 am

Hey Mike, nice write up.

"What I try to do is to make a copy of my project and start working on that every day when I turn on eclipse. This creates a kind of a checkpoint for me."

Get a source code management tool. This allows you to not only make checkpoints, but to make changes that you can discard, rollback to and import. You can also branch off and experiment, and abandon the experiment without losing any long term changes you would rather keep. It's perfect for iteration, as you've described it.

Later on, you can also share your code and have multiple people contributing to the same code base. The SCM will manage bringing all those changes together in an easy and sensible way.

Using an SCM of any kind is a must for any developer, you'll wonder how you ever lived without one :)

I've used many different tools, and I highly recommend git.
Darren

Postby Sittaman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks for these tips Mike, they were very useful. It's always great to read about others developers experiences. I'm starting as a indie game dev and is very important to me to see this kind of stuff, I'm learning a lot with that!
Sittaman

Postby MikeKnight » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:30 am

Hey Darren,

This is really great advice.

While I have used it a lot while working on group projects , While working on a self projects, I guess i tend to miss a few points.

I guess I must set one up this weekend.

Version control starts to become a really big problem as you go deeper into the development stage.

Thanks for the link. :)
MikeKnight

Postby MikeKnight » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:33 am

Hey ,

Its really great to see that it helped. :)

Feel free to leave a comment if you get stuck at any stage.
MikeKnight

Postby Professor Snake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:26 am

This all seems a bit too structured, and is probably aimed towards someone with experience. If you are starting your first project, a more anorthodox and improvised approach may end up being way more fun.
Professor Snake

Postby MikeKnight » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Hello Professor,

I believe a little bit of planning is required before starting with the development.

Another approach would be, jumping right on the developing part, and working on it, with a clear idea about the final product.
While, you might come up with a really awesome game by this technique too.
Having an initial plan, and then improvising seems like a better idea.

As a lot in indie developers abandon projects half way through , either because they've lost interest, or because they come up with an even better idea. (Planning on covering something on these lines on my next article)

Meanwhile, if there are some tips that you would like to share, it would be really great to hear them. :)
MikeKnight

Re: Guest Post: Hellboy Studios' Game Dev Tutorial - Vol. 1

Postby Brandon Schmidt » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Just want to echo Darren's suggestion of a source control management system. Twice now I've dabbled in game development myself (though it's never gone anywhere) and using version control is a must. It's also something I use all the time in my day job. It allows you to easily roll back to a working build after branching off for some experimental development.
Brandon Schmidt
Site Admin

Return to The Indie Mine Gaming Articles