The End of XNA?

This forum is for discussing all gaming articles posted on The Indie Mine.

Re: The End of XNA?

Postby OnekSoftGames » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:40 am

@Ross & @Chris, take a look at Microsoft's current strategy for Windows8 and WP8 to see where things are going. They are allowing Indie devs and big-name developers to co-exist side by side, and they have opened the door to a variety of technologies to create apps and games.

Sure, XNA is missing, but they are pushing C++ and DirectX for game development on their new platform. Hopefully, the next Xbox will allow us to use C# for Indie Games. At the least, I hope they allow Indie devs to publish games on the Xbox platform, even if it means that we'll have to learn C++ and DirectX! :-)
OnekSoftGames

Re: The End of XNA?

Postby Andy Moore » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:39 pm

OnekSoftGames wrote:@Ross & @Chris, take a look at Microsoft's current strategy for Windows8 and WP8 to see where things are going. They are allowing Indie devs and big-name developers to co-exist side by side, and they have opened the door to a variety of technologies to create apps and games.

Sure, XNA is missing, but they are pushing C++ and DirectX for game development on their new platform. Hopefully, the next Xbox will allow us to use C# for Indie Games. At the least, I hope they allow Indie devs to publish games on the Xbox platform, even if it means that we'll have to learn C++ and DirectX! :-)

I'm doing some extensive research at the moment, chatting with Indie devs who are going through the process on all 3 next gen consoles. As it stands, Microsoft are in the worst position to support indies, not because of a lack of technology, but simply because they are doing a very bad job conveying whats on offer. It seems they rushed into this ID@XBOX scheme, and it has become obvious some things have yet to be hashed out over at MS headquarters. A good example of this was the Unity partnership they announced a few weeks ago, only to then need to clarify that Unity support wouldn't happen until 2014.
Andy Moore

Previous

Return to The Indie Mine Gaming Articles